30 August 2007
2. List your favorite double-point needle brands, including size and length. Or would you prefer circulars?
I've never made socks; so, I guess I don't know. I love both dpns and circulars. I like my circulars to be Addi and my dpns to be bamboo or wood. Does that help? I have no small dpns under 6 and no circulars under 9.
3. Would you like to try a new brand needle? If so, which brand? Size? Length?
Sure. I love surprises, and I plan to leave this as open as I can so my pal has lots of options.
4. If you are a RAVENCLAW, do you prefer the colors in the film or the book? Do you have a strong preference?
I don't actually have a preference. Both sets can be quite pretty together.
5. Do you have any allergies?
Yes, gluten. It's in food. I don't plan on eating my yarn.
6. If you are swapping scarves - what is your desired length for the pattern? This will help your partner find the pattern that is just right for you and buy yarn accordingly.
I'm swapping socks!!!
25 August 2007
We finally caught the bus to go get the babies. They had a stressful trip home. It was pouring when we picked them up, and we spent four hours trying to get home. All 4 of us soaked but happy to be home. They have recouped well from the robbing of their manhood, and Jeff and I are happy they are in good health.
Now, on to the knitting!!! Type at ya later!
2. If you're heading on vacation, do you take knitting with you? If so, how much and what type of project?
Yes, I take knitting. How much depends on the trip... weekend trip - 3 5 if longer than that... I always take Fetching for the plane. I love that pattern. It's easy to make on the plane with the lack of space.
3. Where have you travelled to that you'd consider your favorite spot?
Ireland, Italy and England top my list. If I had to pick one, it would be Italy. I lived there for 2 years, and it was amazing.
4. What is your favorite knitting book at the moment? Do you own it?
Domiknitrix... Yep. Jeff bought it for me on Thursday, and I'm addicted. I love that it actually teaches you important things and gets to the point.
5. Do you listen to podcasts? Which is your favorite(s)?
Nope. Where do I find this since I keep being asked???
6. If you could only knit with 1 color for the rest of your life, what color would that be?
7. If you were far into a project and then noticed a mistake near the beginning what would you do?
It really depends. Since I haven't really made garments to wear, I would probably be okay with it. It's called charm! Now though, I find myself being more willing to frog.
8. Where is the most unsual spot you've ever knit?
on the streets of Chicago while checking out the sights...
22 August 2007
18 August 2007
Charming, I know!
But I wasn't alone on this trip. Jeff was with me. We did my meeting and then went to the Museum of Contempory Art. This is me on the bridge over the Chicago River. Yes, I'm holding the bar cause I'm scared of heights. We decided to walk there from the train stop. I should have warn sneakers, but I wasn't that smart. Along the way, we stopped to take pictures of neat things. Occasionally, I knitted in the picture for a contest I want to enter.
Here is me showing the Gargoyle how to knit 4, yarn forward and slip 3. I am not sure he got the idea.
I love this place. The gorilla is not into fiber arts. We just talked baseball. He loved my jacket, but I broke his heart when I told him I am a Reds fan. He probably won't be returning any of my calls now. lol
This is across from the Museum of Contemporary Art. It was amazing. Behind me is a tilted white car. It's not an accident. Just a exhibit. This is me standing in front of the exhibit. Knitting!!! People walking by did laugh at me, but then, they took pictures. Too bad for them that they didn't have any knitting to look this cool.
Tragically though, all that knitting and walking and stopping and posing ending up in a dropped stitch or SEVEN!!!! Luckily, they have emergency phones for this.
After the MCA, we headed home. We couldn't resist posing above the highway knitting!!!
16 August 2007
13 August 2007
I know... You all read this for some yarn porn, but I'm all out of new stuff. So, here is my evil felted bag that I hate hate hate!!!
Yes, it is as bad as it looks. Sigh.... Over 1200 yards of yarn yumminess to waste... This will go into the Christmas stash for a friend or relative.
12 August 2007
05 August 2007
Hmmm... How do you pick? I just bought this amazing Dream in Color superwash wool that might take number 1. Before that, I don't know. I know I don't like acrylic or most novelty yarns. I started out there, and after I bought my first "good" yarn, I was hooked.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? My straights are in a fish bowl full of glass rocks that you would have in your fish tanks. DPN's are in the yarn bag. Circulars are, too. They are stuffed in a side pocket.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I started at the end of 2005. My husband had left, and I wanted to quit smoking. It kept my mind focused. I would say intermediate. :)
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? no... I didn't know there was one. Plus, people don't buy me stuff. (I just realized how sad that sounds, but it's true. I'm okay with it though.)
5. What's your favorite scent? Oh... this yummy lotion I just bought from Bath and Body Works... Midnight Pomegrant. Oh, or Brown Sugar and Fig.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? yes, I do... But I have Celiac Disease. So, there isn't a ton of candy that I can have. I do love Kinder chocolate though.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I scrapbook, but that has gone to the wayside a little bit. Knitting is so much more portable.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I listen to almost everything. Mainly country, christian or top 40. I love musicals and opera, too. Yes, my computer and stereo don't discriminate.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? Navy Blue and Hot Pink... Colors I can't stand? Hmmm.... Not that I can think of.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I live with my boyfriend, Jeff, and our two kittens, Tink and Pepper.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to scarves. I should to hats. I just moved here to Chicago this past winter, and my ears froze. I like fingerless mittens. I'm addicted to knitting them. But full mittens, no. I like gloves. Ponchos, I finally finished one. So, yes. I'm looking at making another one. I have this amazing red in Berocco Glace, but I haven't found a pattern for it yet.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? lol Fingerless gloves or mittens. I have 2 pairs so far. I need to make more so I can wear them every day. :)
13. What are you knitting right now? the stash bag from the book, Alterknits; a pair of cigar gloves for Jeff in Cotton Ease (He's a graphic designer and wants them for work.); a Stitch 'n Bitch baby blanket for Candy's (my bff) newest baby, Hope.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? I have never gotten any. So, I don't know. I do believe that it's the thought though if that helps.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? probably circular cause they are so versatile... I love Addis. I have a bunch of those. All of them are smaller than 13 though. Not a fan of aluminum. Bamboos for straights though.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? ETA!!! Yes. Jeff just bought me one, but it hasn't arrived yet. Someone at the Post office must want mine. :)
17. How old is your oldest UFO? 14 months... Is it sad that I carry in my yarn bag?
18. What is your favorite holiday? Independence Day
19. Is there anything that you collect? besides yarn? lol nothing
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I have been trying to find Cascade yarn for a Harry Potter Gryffindor scarf, but no one has those two colors in stock around here. It could be a good thing though. Where would I wear it?
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Oh! Socks. I want to learn socks.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Not yet. I'll be brave enough one day. I don't know how to measure my foot. I wear an 8 1/2 shoe though. Medium... I love funky socks.
23. When is your birthday? December 22, 1978
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? yep KnitIrish
04 August 2007
the poncho is done... Ta Dah!!!! Current mood: sick
I finished it!!!! Yeah!!!!
Here it is!!!
Currently reading : Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter By Alison Hansel Release date: 07 May, 2007
3:50 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Saturday, July 28, 2007
WIP or UFO??? Current mood: creative
So, I spent most of the day knitting. Not naked though...
A friend of mine called and we chatted for a bit. Of course, knitting came up. I told her that I actually worked on 3 different projects today. She got around to ask me what the difference was between a WIP and a UFO. So, I explained.
WIP - work in project - something you are currently knitting in hopes of finishing and loving it...
UFO - unfinished object - something you haven't finished and obviously aren't thinking about finishing...
My current tally is 4 WIP and 1 UFO...
Let's start with the WIP since the UFO is over a year old and I carry it around in my knit back with no intention of knitting it.
What? white cotton cigar gloves for Jeff
Why? He doesn't smoke, but he's a graphic designer. They'll prevent getting oil on his prints, and since they are white, he'll know when to change them if he sees dirt.
Last worked on? Today.
Status? I am almost done with the first glove. I'm stuck on the finger part.
What? A super cute poncho for me.
Why? I have always wanted one, and several failed attempts, I might finish this one this weekend. It's gauzy enough to wear on chilly summer nights, I hope.
Last worked on? Today.
Status? 20 rows shy of done with the knitting. Then, the finishing.
What? The Stash Bag
Why? I needed to burn up some yarn that is in my stash. Plus, it was a reason to buy some yarn I needed to coordinate.
Last worked on? Today.
Status? Just started this week and going super great.
What? Fetching gloves for me in a great colorway bamboo yarn.
Why? I'm addicted to the Fetching pattern.
Last Worked On? earlier this week
Status? It's on my desk at work. I keep forgetting to throw it in my bag. I'm just on the wrist of glove 1. I might frog it and start on a new pattern.
I have black craft wire and teal beads to make napkin rings for the mom. So far, I have one done. I started it about 14 months. I'm supposed to make 6. So, five more to go. Maybe she'll get them for Christmas this year. MAYBE!!!!
Currently watching : Saw III (Unrated Widescreen Edition) Release date: 23 January, 2007
8:01 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Friday, July 20, 2007
broken hearts... Current mood: crushed
I'm sitting here on the futon watching GAC. Sound fun? Ha! I should be reading HP, but this year I ordered from Amazon. So, later on I will be... So, why am I up? broken hearted... Well, maybe not broken but surely slightly bent. It always amazes me at what makes me cry. I'm not overly emotional, and I don't cry a lot. I can't fake it to save my life. Well, I was all curled up in bed tonight when Jeff told me to get out of his bed. I was floored. Just floored. After I did from shock when he screamed it the second time, he laid back down, and I burst into tears. What the fuck??? Seriously??? Seriously!!! Well, after crying for a bit, he woke up and asked me why I wasn't in bed and what was wrong. I could kill him. He asked me to come to bed. Still could... Like it's not supposed to hurt. Don't get me wrong. It's not like this happens all the time. Never. Never ever ever never!!! So, how do you respond to that? I want to pour ice water on his sleeping ass!
11:46 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Monday, July 16, 2007
knitting dreams Current mood: content
You know what I do love?
Ponchos, you say!!! Yep, ponchos!!!! :)
What a perfect addition to the wardrobe. You can wear it all year long depending on how you make it. Tank top and jeans, no prob. Keep it around for the trip to the office or the grocery store. Turtleneck and slacks, through it over the top to make ya extra warm.
Wanna know what the problem is? I don't own one. I have tried to make one. A copy times... I have the perfect yarn for it. I just haven't found a pattern that really speaks to me and the yarn I have. I really want to knit it on circulars. I have this perfect varigated yarn and a great pattern. I haven't broken down and bought the size 17 Addi's that the Stitch 'n Bitch Nation calls for. I should buy them, but I keep buying new yarn for other projects that I only give away. I want to be selfish. I want to make myself everything for a while. No one appreciates what I make them anyways... Well, my mom... She loves everything I do. :) The other yarn I have is red and gorgeous. It's the Berroco Glace. It's fabulous. I have needles for it. I love love love it. What's the problemo? I don't have a pattern for it. I tried to use the Yarn Harlot's poncho pattern. I even finished it, and guess what??? It was too small. I frogged the entire thing, put it in the yarn bag from my last purchase and put it away. The yarn has been bad. It needs a serious time out.
So, there ya go! Now you know my dirty yarn secret.
Currently playing : Heroes of Might & Magic 3 Complete Release date: 02 October, 2000
5:31 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
my Friday the 13th... Figures!!! Current mood: frustrated
I had the perfect Friday last week. Work went well. The customers even acted like real people. I talked to a few friends. I made plans to go see a friend cause Jeff was helping Bill move. I had fun plans for the entire weekend. All in all, it was great. Well, until around 5pm... See, at 4, my boss told me to go ahead and leave early if I wanted. I was gone. ;) On my way home, I was jamming to my JT cd, and BAM!!! I got rear-ended by a lady fresh off the boat in a Outback who barely spoke English. She just kept saying I have insurance. It's okay.
WTF!!! No, it's not okay. You just hit me so hard that I hit the guy in front of me and so on... Why would you think it was okay? No, it's shitty.
Ugh!!! On a good note, she does have insurance. I am okay. Just a sprained neck. My back is sore, but I'm okay.
I'm staying home next Friday the 13th!
Currently playing : Heroes of Might & Magic 3 Complete
5:15 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Stitch 'n Pitch
So, there is a Stitch 'n Pitch in Chicago this year!!! True, it's at the White Sox stadium, but knitting and baseball go great together. Sox vs. Mariners. August 11th. Tickets are $20 a pop and they include food.
I am so excited about going. I would always rather see the Reds play, but I do love a good game of baseball. I hear that you have to buy your tickets via mail or fax by the 20th. So, if you are going to be in the area, you should go. I hear it's always a good time.
See ya there!
Currently watching : Fantastic Four (Widescreen Edition) Release date: 06 December, 2005
7:03 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Friday, July 06, 2007
Okay... I'm a dork! Current mood: dorky
So, most of you who know me in any kind of real sense know that I developed an addiction to yarn and pointy needles... Sometimes even I can admit my level of dorkiness, but rather than pester Jeff with my need for wooly things all the time, I have decided that you all should share in his pain... oops, I meant joy. ;) Expect pictures soon!!!
6:04 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Knitting is fun!!! Current mood: cheerful
So, I have organized a Yarn Hop tomorrow. Just wanted to pop in and say whoever wants to come, message me.
I can't wait!!!
5:18 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Sunday, June 24, 2007
moved in... I should unpack. Current mood: hopeful Category: Blogging
Yeah... I moved! Done for the most part. The elevator was down at the condo in the city when I went to get my stuff yesterday. Luckily, some guys were moving in, and they helped us get my bed downstais. So, besides my stuff and misc. junk, all that is left is my TV that must weigh a ton, dining room chairs, desk and my nightstand. So, we are just going to make daily trips until Saturday. I have to be done on Saturday. That's the last day of June. Well, during the move, we broke the boxspring. Go figure with my luck. Anyways... Jeff is going to buy a new one tomorrow. I couldn't get my couch in the patio door. So, we are just going to buy a futon mattress that is amazing in case a friend has to spend a drunk night or one of you fab people come to check out the big city with me. :)
I have to go. I have to unpack. I have to find something to wear to work. So, there ya go!
3:49 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Saturday, June 23, 2007
response to Tom Current mood: amused
You have your parents, Tom. They have always been there. No one has taken them. Just because I am good to them and we are friends doesn't mean you need to feel threatened.
And are you that horrible? If you need to ask, the problem is far deeper than you think.
6:35 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove